Tuesday, August 12, 2014

TV Review



Sometimes, we just have to go back to watching shows that never did us wrong. For me, one of those has to be The Vicar of Dibley. It might have been made over twenty years ago, but there isn't a single episode that doesn't make me laugh.

The best part of this show has to be Geraldine Granger, played by Dawn French. When she moves to the small town of Dibley as the new vicar, no one is ready to accept her--whether because she is a woman priest or for other reasons, depending on the character. But she takes it all in stride and eventually wins over the majority of the village with her modern ideas and hilarious personality.


As the show goes on, Geraldine and the ragtag group of villagers from Dibley endure multiple escapades in the parish and beyond. Though it's nearly impossible to pick favorite moments, I have to say that the I can't believe it's not butter joke still remains my favorite. 


And of course, The Vicar in White has to be one of the most memorable, if not simply because Richard Armitage plays Harry, the beau and eventual finance of Gerry. I love seeing one of my favorite actors so young and new to the screen. He's still a stunner, even back then!


If you're looking for something incredibly funny and classically British, this sitcom is the answer. There are heartfelt moments mixed into the dialogue that will snare your heart and make you feel like a part of the Dibley family by the end of the series. Dawn French and the whole gang do a magnificent job of showing what life is like in a small village and how hard it is to be a woman in the church, but they also do so well in making it believable in a way that's still funny. By the end of the show, I can identify with every single character. 

I would recommend this show to anyone who can appreciate British humor, or to anyone interested in feminist ideals for the church. Really, anyone who enjoys a good laugh will love this show. Some of the humor is crude, but I find that I don't even care, since the majority of the jokes are clever enough to make up for it. And then some. 

It's stunningly simple and written so well. This has to be one of my all time favorite shows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment