Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Photobook



One of my favorite places in the world is the small, historic downtown of Hendersonville, North Carolina. Some shops change and some shops stay the same, but I love the feel and look of beautiful Main Street. Shopping of all sorts happens... and lots of eating.

It's definitely one of my happiest happy places!


Our first stop of the day was the famous Mike's On Main diner. Located in an old apothecary shop with a killer tin ceiling, this fabulous restaurant serves a myriad of delicious sandwiches, soups, salads, and desserts. They make a mean triple decker club, veggie burger, and old fashioned ice cream soda or regular milk shake. I love stopping by here and getting a lunch to stock up for shopping. 


Next up was Narnia Studios, just two doors down from Mike's. It's a great antique store that has flowers, fairies, artwork, a fabulous vintage jewelry selection, and the nicest owner on the planet. I've bought so many pieces of jewelry there that each drawer has something from Narnia. 

This year, I bought a necklace and earrings set as well as a cute little sign that says 'It's gonna be fantastic'. I'll put those in a North Carolina Haul post later, if you're interested in seeing them! Maybe I can post all of the things I've bought there in the past, as well. I've certainly bought enough stuff! 


And, as always, we had to stop by McFarlan's bakery. The smell alone is enticing enough, if not the rows and rows of cakes, cookies, and doughnuts. My favorite selections include the chocolate glazed doughnuts, the black and white cookies, and the elephant ears.

I opted to try a flower cookie this year, in honor of ∑AI's roses. It was delicious, just as everything there is delicious, but had a ton of frosting. If that's your thing, I highly recommend any of the frosted cookies. Really, I recommend anything. They make magic in this bakery. 


On to my favorite stop of the trip: the Mineral and Lapidary Museum in the basement of the Hendersonville Geological and Historical Society building. It's a beautiful building in itself, but the museum houses a collection of the most interesting and stunning rocks I've ever seen--as documented by the thousand photos I took.

As per usual, I bought a bunch of rocks here that I will feature in a homeware haul later this week! I love placing these little gems all over my room and watching them sparkle. And this year, I am officially the owner of items from space--I bought a tin of meteorites!


Lastly, we stopped at the Village Green Antique Mall for the second year in a row. (No website for this one--stop by the store to see what they're all about!) This year, I went straight to the Book Loft, where I pulled at least seven books from the shelf before eventually deciding on a solid four books. That makes eight books from this wonderful shop!

The owner of this store is also super nice and knowledgable. We connected over a love for vintage books and cool subject matter, and she even gave me some money off and a suggestion to come back to Hendersonville in September for their annual book sale. As crazy as it sounds, I might be driving back from school to get some amazing books. And I might be bringing friends.

All in all, it was a fabulous trip to Hendersonville. I absolutely love perusing the shops of this quaint little city. If you ever get a chance to visit, I would highly recommend these places to go and have an amazing day in a historical town. It's a really beautiful place that holds a special spot in my heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment