Monday, June 1, 2015

Monthly Favorites



How can it be June already?! This year is flying by. Here are the things I've been loving during the month of May, no matter how quickly it went by. 

Makeup / Beauty
♥     Cargo Swimmables blush in Los Cabos: This one makes the list courtesy of Birchbox, as have many of my past favorites. I must say, I was a little doubtful that anything could be water resistant on my oily skin--things tend to slide around and eventually leave my original look behind by the end of the day. But after a month of this blush staying put on my cheeks, I can say that I am impressed. The color might be a little bit orange for me, but they have it in two other amazing shades that I might just have to try.

     Violife Slim Sonic toothbrush: In a mission to make horse show and back home travel efficient during the school year, I picked up this little guy on a whim at Ulta. The cute polka dot pattern (called "Confetti") caught my eye originally as I waited for the register, but I have used it multiple times on now in different cities, and I can say that I love it. It works almost more effectively than my regular brush, and it sits in its tube in my travel toiletry bag, waiting for me to take it someplace new. 

     L'Oreal Lineur Intense eyeliner in Carbon Black: Though I am still a loyal fan of my many times repurchased Lineur Intense Felt Tip and Lâncome Artliner, I found a new sweetheart in the eyeliner department. I purchased this a long time ago but was reluctant to use the ultra-liquidly formula and scary brush applicator. Nonetheless, I decided to try it for a recent orchestra concert. My signature look involves a daily cat flick, so finding a liner that not only stays put and stays black, but still allows for fixing mistakes, meant an instant and prolonged good impression.  

     Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle: Another product from Birchbox, and another instant obsession. The box came smelling like something beautiful, and I immediately sniffed each sample to see which one was emitting the rosey floral goodness. Turns out this stuff not only makes my hair smell amazing, but it also packs a beauty punch. The leave-in conditioner helps to detangle my post-shower hair, soothes split ends from my ombré color, combats frizz. It's even 100% vegan. What's not to like? I quickly used up my sample size and purchased the big one, and I still love it. 

     Golden eyes: With the coming of summer, I've been rocking an ultra-shimmery golden eye with multiple outfits. I start with a non-slip base of Rimmel Scandal Eyes shadow paint in Golden Bronze, immediately followed by a covering of Lâncome Sensational Effects eyeshadow in Filigree. Then, I add a little definition by putting Lorac Unspoken (from the Unzipped palette) in my crease. Voilà! A subtle yet superb way to amp up a summer outfit.

     Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish: Awhile back, I took advantage of Birchbox's 25% off Liz Earle in celebration of their collaboration with the cult British beauty star. Since then, I've been working away at using this, and I'm going to be honest... I think the cocoa butter in this clogged my pores and broke me out. Even so, I haven't stopped using this to effortlessly--the most effortlessly I've ever experienced--remove my eye makeup. Just for that, I'm going to continue repurchasing.   

Media / Other
     Friends: Honestly, I have no idea how I evaded watching this show for so long. My parents were always hesitant to let me watch it when I was younger, just because of the mature nature of the content, but I didn't have any interest even as I got older. Then one fateful day in the beginning of May, I decided to take Netflix's suggestion and fire up The One Where Monica Gets a Roommate. It has become an obsession from there. I like to think I'm a Chandler, but people think I'm more of a Monica. Don't ask. 

     Urban Outfitters Mary Jane shoes: Though it started with two for $20 in Madison, I now own five pairs of these in black, blush, nude, black t-strap, and a back-up black for when the originals inevitably conk out on me. They are comfy and yet sleek and stylish, which means I needed them years ago. One pair of the many has been permanently on my feet since I purchased them. 

     Summer Reading: Since I got out of school a week ago, I have had time to get back into the books that I want to read, rather than the ones that school demands me to read. On that note, I have thoroughly been enjoying finishing All the Light We Cannot See (review soon!) and Insurgent, as well as starting up Princes of Ireland, The Dante Club, and Paper Towns.  

     Vlog Channels: I tend to run through the main channel videos rather quickly, which gets me into trouble. Sure, it's great to binge watch, but it feels equally bad to run out of said videos. Lucky for me, that's where vlogs come in! My all-time favorites are (of course) Zoe's and Gabby's, but I also enjoy Claire's and the occasional Saccone-Joly (simply because Eduardo is the cutest).    

     Fresh flowers: Between the hundreds of crab apple trees blooming on campus in the beginning of May to the lilac bushes, rose bushes, lily bushes, etc. springing to life in the beginnings of the Wisconsin summer, I have not been without the smell of flowers for the month. It's glorious.     

Songs
           1)   Until We Can't (Let's Go) by Passion Pit
           2)   Tear In My Heart by Twenty One Pilots 
           3)   Forgive & Forget by The Kooks
           4)   Can't Deny My Love by Brandon Flowers
           5)   Greek Tragedy by The Wombats
           6)   The Wolf by Mumford & Sons
           7)   Missing You by All Time Low
           8)   Renegades by X Ambassadors
           9)   Contagious by Night Riots
         10)   Miles Away by The Maine
         11)   Magic Mountain by firekid
         12)   I'm So Sorry by Imagine Dragons
         13)   Still by The Japanese House
         14)   Run by COIN
  15)   Life Underwater by Flagship



No comments:

Post a Comment